Get the Most for Your Money
SEMREX operates a cooperative marketing program, similar to a recyclable materials broker, but was established not for profit, but to promote recycling.
Cooperative Marketing Benefits Include
- Higher prices because larger volumes increase bargaining power.
- Transportation and storage efficiencies through joint shipments with other facilities -freeing up valuable storage space and making the most of transportation dollars.
- Staff time is saved researching markets, and prices, arranging transportation, doing collections and solving problems.
- Access to SEMREX's established recycling markets.
- Unlike other broker relationships, SEMREX operates as a cooperative paying out dividends to marketing members if profits exceed an approved level.
- Assistance in finding recycling alternatives for materials such as off-spec packaging that would otherwise end up in a landfill.
- Assistance to businesses without baling ability to utilize member facilities and potentially share in the revenue from the sale of materials.
Marketing fees are utilized to fund operations, but unlike other brokers, dividends are paid to marketing members if fund levels get too high as determined by the Joint Powers Board.
It's easy to provide recycling at:
- Family reunions
- School festivities
- Community events and more
How? Each county in the SEMREX region has a number of containers (like the one shown here) that can be loaned out to organizations and groups that want to collect recyclables. These containers can be to borrowed out to service groups, families, event committees etc. Contact your County Solid Waste Office. [See Link to your county].